Wednesday 12 May 2010

Mushroom and Caramelised Red Onion Tart


I found this recipe from the inspiring blog of Kevin at Closet Cooking and modified it to suit what was in my larder at the time:-

Mushroom & Caramelised Red Onion Tart

1 large red onion thinly sliced
250g Mushrooms sliced - I used bog standard closed cup
1 clove garlic - chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
1 sheet puff pastry
1/2 cup grated Emmenthal cheese
Oil and Butter
S&P
1 tsp Sugar
Garlic and Herb Light soft cheese
Menorcan Herb Gin - 1 shot


Heat some oil in a frying pan and add the onion and sugar and slowly cook until caramelised, about 20 minutes.
Add a little melted butter and then the mushrooms and cook until soft and slightly browned.
Add garlic, thyme, S&P
I was using a very good non-stick frying pan, so there was no real need to de-glaze, but I did loosen up the whole mixture by adding a shot of the thick Menorcan Herb Gin (I did not want to open a bottle of wine just to de-glaze and I had finished off the cooking sherry so this was my only option!)
Roll out the puff pastry and score around the edges about 3cm in.
Spread the soft cheese over the base, I used about half of a 175g pack. Pour the mushroom and onion mixture over and scatter the Emmenthal over the top.
Bake in an oven at 180oc for about 15 mins.
Serve with a lovely fresh salad.
This tart was deliciously sweet and tasty, the combination of sweet herb gin and red onions went together well whilst the sharper nutty Emmenthal cut through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.