Wednesday 11 March 2009

Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding


Having got too excited at the prospect of all the lovely bakery and buns that take place around Easter I bought far too much I found that I had a spare pack of Hot Cross Buns going stale in the cupboard, so rather than scarf down less than best buns I concluded to turn them into Hot Cross Bun Brad & Butter Pudding


5 Stale Hot Cross Buns
Butter or Marg
Marmalade
12 Floz Milk - I used Semi
3 Eggs
Light brown sugar
Nutmeg

Heat oven to 180oc. Slice the buns three times top to bottom as you would with bread to get slices around 12mm thick.
I buttered one side and spread marmalade on the other and arranged the slices on a baking dish. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, add the milk and whisk together, add a few grinds of nutmeg.
Pour over the buns, giving them a little squish to make sure they have fully absorbed the liquid. Sprinkle sugar on top and bake in oven for 30-40 mins.


It made a very comforting pudding, although I wish I had some cream to pour over the top, to give a little more looseness to the dish, but a good way to clear up the left over bread.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fantastic! I will definitely be making this at Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.