Tuesday 3 February 2009

Chicken Chasseur


It snowed pretty much all day on Monday, a little hairy on the trip to work, but Katie handled it well and I realised she had ABS braking which helped greatly. I cannot remember the last time it snowed in Burton and the snow 'stuck' for any period of time and I had forgotten just how beautiful it can be especially when you are back home, with a roaring fire going and a delicious warming comfort meal on the stove.

Chicken Chasseur

4 Chicken Legs - seasoned
200g Chestnut Mushrooms
1 glass Red Wine
800ml Chicken Stock
2 tbs Tomato Puree
1 Onion Chopped
2 cloves Garlic - Crushed
Butter
Oil
Thyme - I used dried.

Melt some butter and oil in large pan, brown the chicken for about 5 mins.
Remove from the pan and put to one side.
Fry the onion until soft for 5 mins, then add the garlic, for a further minute, toss in the mushrooms for a further 2 mins then add the Thyme and Red Wine, de-glaze the pan then add the tomato puree, this will thicken the liquid, bubble away for a minute.
Add the chicken stock.
Place the chicken legs back on top of the sauce and cover, leave on a low heat for about an hour or until the meat is tender.
Remove the chicken legs and keep warm. Turn the heat up high and reduce the sauce till nice and thick.

I served with crushed new potatoes and cabbage. Plus I had two servings to put into my freezer stock.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! French chicken cacciatore! I just made this with pheasant a week or two ago. Great dish. What are chestnut mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chestnut mushrooms are similar in shape to button mushrooms, very firm and dense, but they are darker brown in colour and have a much stronger flavour. I used them whole in the recipe and after cooking they were still meaty and juicy.

    The idea of using the receipe with Pheasant sounds delicious, I think a visit to my game butcher may be called for, I should be able to cook this without the bird drying out too much, my usual problem. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.