Tuesday 20 January 2009

Celebratory Roast Chicken


Over the weekend and probably the cause of my lack on enthusiasm was the necessity to go and troll round all the car dealers in the area searching for a reasonably priced, small car to replace my trusty Fiesta, who having had from new was now over 10 years old and starting to cost money in repairs. As the MOT was due at the end of the month and anticipating a hefty bill, we set off on Saturday morning. Several hours later we had decided on two a Citroen C1 and Peugeot 207.
The following day, with parents along for advise and fiscal assistance the C1 was ruled out as being too small for my needs and we plumped for the 207. I am not a creature that likes change and all these decisions for some reason made me rather depressed, after all 10 years with Vog the Fiesta was a long partnership to break, I knew all her foibles and she mine, but today after taking the final drive to the garage with Vog all was forgotten as I stepped into Katie (her reg. is KT 07 xxx). Katie is smooth and sleek, whereas Vog was rough and grubby, she also has power steering, so a couple of over zealous turns later almost ending on the pavement I got the hang of that, not quite so the incredibly light gear changing - a lot of revving engine is still occurring whilst I try to get to grips.


Long story short, by the time I got home I felt in a celebratory mood and as Hubby was going to be late back from work I figured I had time to roast a chicken, something I had not done for a long while. My favourite way to cook the bird is in a large lidded roasting pan, this keeps the meat so juicy and tender and stops all the flavours escaping. My plan was twofold, as Hubby is off to Portugal for two nights tomorrow, I will have another meal of cold chicken and salad waiting for me tomorrow.


Roast Chicken

1 x Medium Free Range Chicken
1 Onion - sliced
1 Lemon
Butter
Tarragon
Veg stock

Such a simple recipe, but so tasty. Slice the onion and place in the bottom of the roasting pan. rub butter on the chicken along with salt, pepper and a nice handful of tarragon. Place half the lemon inside the bird with the other half, chopped again in the pan. Place the bird on the onions and add approx 500ml veg (or Chicken) stock in the pan. Cover and place in oven at 200oc for 1 hr 15 mins. Remove from roasting pan and place onto carving dish - pop back into oven for 15 mins to make skin brown and crispy. With the remaining stock in the pan, put on the hob and add a little flour stir to thicken and re-season. I served it with creamed potatoes and sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.